Communities A - M


Do you have old photographs or information you would like to share?


Altair in the Colorado County Sesquicentennial Commemorative Book

Altair School

Articles at the Handbook of Texas Online

Take a look at Altair, Texas at

Columbus Citizen

The Citizen learns that forty-three Missouri farmers have arrived and will permanently locate in the neighborhood of Altair, in this county—a decided accession to that locality.

Weimar Mercury, January 25, 1896, page 2


The Bernard is a fine settlement, the majority of the inhabitants being German numbering perhaps 500. The soil is black, sandy, and this year produced a full corn crop, but the cotton was cut short by the worms, two-thirds. There is also a very good brass band, composed entirely of farmers and a singing society called "New Mines Singing Society." The Bernard is receiving some immigrations and is one of the most thrifty portions of the county.

Colorado Citizen, November 6, 1876

Charles Duddleston's Garage in Bernardo, ca 1924

L - Charlene Duddleston Konesheck, R - Lucille Duddleston Kretzschmar

Contributed by John Konesheck

Contributed by Leanne Parrett

Rabbit Hunt

HUNTERS BAGGED 201 JACK RABBITS Jack rabbits, which have for a long time annoyed the farmers of the Bernard prairie by eating down young gardens and young corn and cotton, are being killed in large numbers throughout that section. On Sunday, March 5th, the following party of hunters was out and succeeded in killing fifty-nine rabbits. The hunters were: Messrs. Charles, Joe, Wenzel and Adolph Renz, Philip and Ed Braden, Louie Estlenbaum, S.R., J.R. and Gus A. Litzman; Herman, Charles and Paul Michaelis; Gus, Henry and Otto Brast, Alvin and August Glueck, Alouis Kircin, August Meyer and Julius Rankin, popular citizens of the Bernard section.

This party started out about 9 o'clock in the morning and met again at about 3 o'clock in the afternoon when all the rabbits were thrown into one pile and counted, fifty-nine being the bag of the day. The hunters covered a strip of prairie of about three miles, starting next to the old John Carlson place, about six miles from Eagle Lake, hunting north and west. On Sunday, March 19th, the same party of hunters repeated the rabbit hunt, covering practically thesame territory, but with considerably better luck, this time kiling 142 jack rabbits, making in the two Sundays a total of 201 rabbits. The farmers in that section are paying a reward for killing the rabbits, and the hunters make up a prize among themselves to be taken by the one killing the largest number of rabbits during the day.

Mr. Louie Estlenbaum was winner in last Sunday's hunt having himself killed twenty one. The same hunting party has arranged for another big hunt on the first Sunday in April. The pictures, showing the hunters and 142 jack rabbits in one pile, which are printed in The Headlight today, were furnished by Mr. Renz and are a fair sample of hisexcellent kodak work. If the hunters succeed in making many more 142 hauls, it won't be long before gardens and young crops in that section will be free from the ravages of the jack rabbit.

The Eagle Lake Headlight, March 1911
Thanks to Natalie McLain for finding this newspaper article.

More rabbit hunters!!


Charles Renz and ?
(Identified by Natalie McLain)

Submitted by Dennis Boatright

Bernardo in the Colorado County Sesquicentennial Commemorative Book

Take a look at Bernardo, Texas at

Zoar Cemetery

Mentz-Bernardo Community Historical Marker

Related articles at the Handbook of Texas Online


Take a look at Borden, Texas at

Borden in the Colorado County Sesquicentennial Commemorative Book

The Borden Myth

Borden Cemetery

Related articles at the Handbook of Texas Online


Brushy School


Buescher in the Colorado County Sesquicentennial Commemorative Book

See Buescher, Texas at the Handbook of Texas Online


Calhoun in the Colorado County Sesquicentennial Commemorative Book


Cheetham Cemetery

Golden Rod Cemetery

Cheetham in the Colorado County Sesquicentennial Commemorative Book

Cheetham, Texas in the Handbook of Texas Online


For short bios on the inhabitants see From Chesterville 1895-1920, a document written by Ruth Anderson

The Chesterville Cemetery is actually in Wharton County.

Chesterville in the Colorado County Sesquicentennial Commemorative Book

Take a look at Chesterville, Texas at

Chesterville, Texas in the Handbook of Texas Online

Chesterville Band, Colorado Co., TX around 1900

Top Row: Ernest Seaholm (cornet); Helmer Seaholm (alto horn); Axel Seaholm (cornet and band master); and Gus Seaholm (cornet)
Second Row: Nela Spillman (alto horn); Lyn Hayden (tenor horn)
Third Row: Fred McCormick (bass); Ben McCormick (tenor horn); and Henry McCormick (tenor)
Bottom Row: Carl Seaholm (drum)
At C. H. McCormick Residence

Submitted by Ernest Mae Seaholm
Eagle Lake, June 29.--Colonel John Linderholm, known throughout this section as a shrewd and enterprising business man, has let the contract to Mr. G. W. Jackson to build a twenty-nine room frame hotel at Chesterville, and the A. C. McClanahan Lumber company of this city has secured the contract to furnish the lumber for same, the shipping to be started Monday. The building will cost in the neighborhood of $5000. This means a great help to this section, as the people brought here from the north have never been able to get suitable conveniences.
Weimar Mercury, July 11, 1919


New Bielau-Content in the Colorado County Sesquicentennial Commemorative Book

Content, Texas in the Handbook of Texas Online

Content at


Last Tuesday Rev. Brunner and family arrived here from Ellinger, and now occupy the property which formerly belonged to the Methodist congregation, and which was bought by the Lutherans for their spiritual adviser. Rev. Brunner and family will not fail to gain the esteem and love of our people. We bid them a hearty welcome.

Weimar Mercury, December 16, 1893


Eldridge in the Colorado County Sesquicentennial Commemorative Book

See Eldridge at the Handbook of Texas Online


Glidden in the Colorado County Sesquicentennial Commemorative Book

Glidden Cemetery

Shepard Cemetery

Take a look at Glidden, Texas at

Historical Markers

See Glidden at the Handbook of Texas Online

We learn that the Columbus yards, a few miles west of town, show considerable signs of improvement, and the railroad company has certainly expended a large amount of money and put a good deal of work upon the place. A large round-house has been erected, a good deal of switch-track laid, a large well dug, and other improvements made. Columbus did not afford sufficient room for the switches necessary upon the connection of this line with the Pacific, hence the work was placed two or three miles west of town.
Colorado Citizen, January 25, 1883

The railroad telegraph has been removed from Clumbus to Glidden, and Capt. Johnson is left alone in his glory manipulaing he wires from the W. U. Company. We have been informed it is the intention of the company to erect a depot at Glidden. It seems to be the policy of the “Sunset” to use all means to antagonize the people of Columbus, yet the railraod officials are honorable men.

Colorado Citizen, December 13, 1883

Glidden Leaflets

Marked improvements have been going on in this place during the past few days. Mr. Thos. Wesson has added to the appearance of his hotel by the application of paint, and Mr. C. Hahn has purchased the old Doland place and the lots adjoining it, of Mr. A. O. Oakes.

The former is being improved and on the latter a new house will soon be erected. Mr. H. Steine and family of San Antonio will occupy the one, and Mr. M. Hope and family of Columbus the other.

Weimar Mercury, November 2, 1895


After spending Christmas in Weimar and Flatonia, Miss Bettie Holt returned last Saturday evening and resumed her cuties on Monday as teacher in the Glidden railroad seminary.

Weimar Mercury, January 5, 1895

Glidden, May 30.--The new bridge over the Colorado river at this place went down at 4 p.m. The center pier was undermined and settled fifteen feet. The west span is gone and the east pier is resting on the east bank. The La Grange train went around over the old route via Columbus.

Weimar Mercury, June 8, 1907, page 2

Glidden, Nov. 25.—The Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio railway is to erect a building here soon for a hotel. It will be a large structure.
Passenger trains will stop here for lunch.

Alvin Anderson, who has been in business here for seven or eight years, will manage the hotel.

Weimar Mercury, November 30, 1907, page 8

Glidden, Feb. i3.--The contract for the construction of the 24-stall round-house for the Southern Pacific Railroad here was awarded to a contractor of Houston, work to begin at once. It will be built of concrete and brick and will cost $32,000. The company will also install an 80-foot turntable, to cost $6000.

E. L. Moore has contracted to build a two-story building, to cost $2000, The upper story will be occupied by the Woodmen of the World and the lower story by a general merchandise firm.

Weimar Mercury, February 18, 1910, page 9

Homes Remodeled At Glidden; Baptist Church Is Painted

Two houses are being remodeled at Glidden. The residences of W. E. Obenhaus and Tanner Walker are being completely remodeled and modernized throughout.

Also being improved is the Glidden Baptist Church, The building is being painted, fence around the property being removed and other general repair being worked out.

Colorado County Citizen, July 6, 1939
Transcribed by Judy Talkington

Epidemic Closes Glidden Schools

Columbus, Oct. 4 – Schools in Glidden have been closed because of a threatened diphtheria epidemic, according to Dr. S. H. Kirkham, Colorado County health officer. Six cases have been reported with two deaths resulting. Dr. Kirkham gave Schick tests to determine immunity to all Glidden school children who had not been inoculated and administered toxoid to all who had not been.

Weimar Mercury, October 10, 1941
Transcribed by Judy Talkington


See Hillcrest at the Handbook of Texas Online


Lakeside in the Colorado County Sesquicentennial Commemorative Book

New Town of Lakeside

See Lakeside at the Handbook of Texas Online

Lone Oak


From Historical Sites and Communities:

Pisek, the Czech word for "sand," was located in Colorado county where the present settlement of Lone Oak is today. Before 1900, it had a Post Office, two stores, a blacksmith shop and a dance hall. The town moved [a few miles, into Fayette County] when the railroad was built nearby, but unlike others, retained its name. A minor rail yard was built, with a hotel for the rail employees. When the railroad closed the yard, the town returned to it's previous location but was named Lone Oak.

Pisek-Lone Oak in the Colorado County Sesquicentennial Commemorative Book

Articles at the Handbook of Texas Online


Matthews in the Colorado County Sesquicentennial Commemorative Book

Take a look at Matthews, Texas at

Articles at the Handbook of Texas Online

Do you have old photographs or information you would like to share?

Return to Communities Index

Return to Colorado County Home Page