Colorado County Obituaries


Do you have old obituaries you would like to share?


Lee, Bob

Bob Lee, a negro section hand, was seriously injured last Saturday at the Navidad bridge. Reports conflict as how the accident happened. One version of the affair is that he was on the excursion train, standing on the steps of one of the cars, with his body swinging our from the car, when it struck the bridge and was knocked to the waters below. One leg was broken; also one arm. The train was stopped, run back to the scene of the accident and the wounded man taken on board. We heard the following day that he died that night.

Weimar Mercury, April 28, 1900, page 5

Lee, “Dock”

“Dock” Lee, Negro, Deranged, Is Killed by Officer Les Taylor

A tragedy was enacted Sunday afternoon on the northeastern outskirts of the city, one of those unexpected happenings that come up almost without any warning, and as a result Constable Les Taylor of this city was forced to shoot and kill Dock Lee, a negro of this community, aged about 70 years or more.

From all reports at hand. and after interviewing Mr. Taylor and others about the occurrence, the facts leading up to the unfortunate affair are about as follows: Dock Lee, aged negro who lived around Weimar for many years and who was generally regarded as harmless, about a week or ten days ago began to show signs of his mind being deranged. At first little attention was paid to same, but as his threats of killing people, backed up by a loaded shotgun, began to simmer through the community, it was realized something had to be done about it.

Saturday night as Messrs. Fred and Richard Billeck were en route home from town crossing the pasture where Mr. Joe Kubesch lives, they were fired upon by someone in the darkness. One of the bullets from a shotgun came within an inch or two of Richard's head. They ran to L. J. Pokluda's home near by, remained there awhile, and started out again. Again they were fired upon. In some way they finally managed to get to their home. Later in the night Mr. Pokluda was aroused by the negro, Dock Lee, armed with a shotgun, who said someone had been shooting at him. Mr. Pokluda accused the negro of doing the shooting himself, and admonished him to go home.

The following day, it is said, Dock paraded through that part of town inhabited mostly by negroes, making threats and armed with a shotgun. He had many of the negroes terrified and they were afraid to do anything.

During the day Richard Billeck came to town and filed a complaint against Dock. It was turned over to Constable Taylor and he, in company with Marshal Tom Roberts, went on a hunt for the crazed negro. They were told he was at the home of a negro named Arthur Young. In their car they drove to Young's home, not anticipating any trouble, for old Dock was generally regarded as harmless. As they stopped their car in front of Young's home and looked up, they saw Dock Lee standing on the front porch of the Young home, with a double barreled shotgun in hand and both triggers cocked. He had the drop on the officers, and was cursing and threatening them. They realized their danger and helplessness under the circumstances, so made an orderly retreat. In their car they made a "roundance" and came up to the house from another direction. Just before they reached the house Constable Taylor slipped out of the car and approached from another direction. The negro was still on the porch with gun in hand and ready to shoot. Constable Taylor called to hint to drop the gun. Cursing defiantly the negro turned to shoot and as he did so there was nothing left for the officer to do but shoot first, which he did, and the negro fell dead.

It is an unfortunate occurrence of course, but the officers could have taken no other course. From being an inoffensive, harmless negro, Dock suddenly developed into a maniac, with an urge to kill, it mattered not who, and if he had not been killed he certainly would have killed someone else. Neither Mr. Taylor or Mr. Roberts had ever had any trouble with him, and they did not anticipate any at the time they first ran across him, but it was very evident at their first meeting that the negro had determined to kill someone, it mattered not who. No one attaches blame to either of the officers for their part in the unfortunate tragedy. It was just one of those unpleasant duties that sometimes falls to the lot of a peace officer. [Place of interment unknown]

Weimar Mercury, January 28, 1938, page 1

Lee, Evie Jr.

Funeral For Evie Lee Jr. Held Tuesday

Funeral services for Evie Lee Jr., 59, of Weimar were held Tuesday, Aug. 25, from Memorial Funeral Home, La Grange, with burial in Paradise Cemetery at Weimar. Rev. Charles Nelson of La Grange officiated.

Lee, a ranch hand, died Friday, Aug. 21, at Corpus Christi.

Born March 19, 1928, in Weimar, he was a son of Evie Sr. and Hattie Mae (Wicks) Lee. He married Mila Hasty, who survives him, along with four sisters, Lillie Mae Page, Ray Thella Rice and Mrs. Agnes Hunter, all of Corpus Christi, and Wilma Mitchell of Houston. His parents and a brother preceded him in death.

Weimar Mercury, August 27, 1987
Transcription by Dennis Boatright

Lee, Harvey

Lee Funeral Services

Harvey Lee, 84, of Columbus, died December 2, 1992 in Columbus.

Funeral services were held Saturday, December 5 at 10 a.m. at St. Paul Lutheran Church with burial at Odd Fellows Rest Cemetery in Columbus. Pastor Sharon Burns officiated.

A lifelong resident of Colorado County, he was born October 4, 1908 near Oakland, Texas, the son of Isaac and Annie (Einkauf) Lee. He attended Oak Grove and Live Oak Schools and married Hilda Thumann of Weimar on February 6. 1929.

Lee, a former Sheriff of Colorado County, began his law enforcement career in 1935 at[sic] a night watchman and constable in Weimar. He as Chief Deputy under Sheriff E. B. Mayes from 1938-1940. In 1940 Lee was elected Sheriff of Colorado County and served in that capacity until defeated in 1952. When World War II began, in 1942, Lee was drafted into the Marines, even though he was Sheriff. He was reelected Sheriff in 1944 while in the service. After the war, he returned to his elected post.

He is survived by his wife of 63 years, Hilda; two sons and daughters- in- law, Harvey F. and Jan Lee of Houston and H. Terry and Barbara Lee of Portland; three grandchildren, Kim Lee of Lockhart. Alan and Vicki Lee of Corpus Christi and Sheli and Kory Fierstine of Yigo. Guam; one great - grandchild. Kandace Lee of Corpus Christi.

Pallbearers were Alan Lee, Thurman Brune, Sterling Guenther, Barney Spross, E. L. Scogin, Edmund Strobel, Ruben Maertz and Jim Youens. Honorary pallbearers were Charlie Rau and A. A. Buck Wheeler.

Funeral Services were under the direction of Henneke Funeral Home of Columbus.

New Ulm Enterprise, December 10, 1992, page 2

Lee, Hilda Sophie Frieda (Thumann)


Hilda Thumann Lee, 93 of Columbus, passed away Jan. 18 at Colonial Manor Nursing Home in New Braunfels.

She was born in Weimar, Nov. 28, 1910 to Fritz and Mathilda (Koym) Thumann Jr. and married Harvey Lee, Feb. 6, 1929.

She was preceded in death by her husband; parents; and sisters, Alma Thumann Schobel and Wilma L. Thumann Hattermann.

She is survived by sons and daughters-in-law, Harvey F. and Jan Lee of New Braunfels and H. Terry and Barbara Lee of Weimar; three grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Funeral services were conducted Jan. 21 at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Columbus with the rev. John Hunsicker officiating. Interment followed in Odd Fellows Rest Cemetery in Columbus.

Pallbearers were Alan Lee, Stan Yearwood, Herman Brune, Howard Chollett, Buddy Prause and Gilbert Kiel.

Colorado County Citizen, January 27, 2004
Courtesy of The Citizen

Lee, Hubert


Hubert Lee, colored citizen of this community, about 70 years old passed away on Friday of last week at his home west of town, following a seven months’ illness. Funeral services with interment in the colored people’s cemetery west of the city were held Tuesday.

Hubert was a very familiar figure about Weimar for the past half century and probably was known to everyone in this section.

He leaves a wife, 10 children and several grandchildren.

Weimar Mercury, August 4, 1944, page 1

Lee, Isaac Abraham


Mr. Lee of the Harmony section died at his home Feb. 28th and was taken to the Live Oak cemetery for burial Mar. 2. Bro. Stack conducted the funeral services.

Weimar Mercury, March 8, 1918


Mr. Ike Lee, a farmer living four miles east of here, died with pneumonia last week and was buried at Live Oak. He leaves a wife and several children to mourn his death. Rev. J. E. Stack, officiated at the funeral services.

Weimar Mercury, November 8, 1918

Lee, Isaac Hillard


Mrs. Lee, formerly of the Harmony settlement, but now a resident of the Oak Grove community received a telegram Friday, bearing the sad news of the death of her son, Hillard Lee, in a hospital in New York. The body will be shipped here and laid to rest in the Live Oak Cemetery by his father, who preceded him about ten months ago. The family has the sympathy of everybody.

Weimar Mercury, Dec 6, 1918


The body of Hilliard Lee, a soldier boy of this sectioin who died of measles at Camp Mills, N. Y., was brought here Wednesday for interment. This young man was a son of Mrs. Isaac Lee of the Oak Grove community, and was highly thought of by all who knew him. His death is sincerely deplored by a large circle of friends throughout this community.

Weimar Mercury, December 6, 1918

In Memory of I. H. Lee

One by one our heroic boys are crossing the river to answer roll call “on the evergreen shore. It has been but a few short months since he left the family home. He has already crossed the great and eternal divide, to join the ranks of his loved comrades who had gone on before. Isaac Hilliard Lee was born Jan. 31, 1893, in Lavaca county, died Nov. 28, 1918 at Camp Mills, New York, with a complication of diseases—measles, bronchitis and pneumonia. It was a shock to his folks, for they didn’t know that he was even ill, at the time of his death. He was drafted July 25, 1918. He is survived by a stepmother, three brothers, four sisters, and two half brothers, two half sisters—Mrs. Mackey and Mrs. Rutledge of Vienna, Mrs. Adolf Cejka of Shimek, Mrs. Clyde Lamkins[sic] of Oak Grove, two brothers—Henry Lee of Yoakum and Charley Lee of Oak Grove two half brothers—Walter and Harvey Lee of Oak Grove; two step brothers—Jesse Lathan of Oak Grove and Libye Freeman; three step-sisters—Mrs. Aletha Thomas of Mosey Grove, Mrs. Carrie Halliburton of Waelder and Mrs. Ernest Lampkins of Oak Grove. His body was laid to rest Thursday evening at 3 o’clock at the cemetery at Live Oak, in the presence of a large number of sorrowing relatives and friends, Rev. Paul Piepenbrok officiating. Friends and acquaintances came from every direction to pay their last respects to the deceased. This was Oak Grove’s first boy to give his life for his county. Although he never saw France, he did his part. He started over and after three days out on the water became so ill it was necessary to send him back to New York, where he had been ever since. May his eternal rest be sweet, and peace to his ashes. We join the many friends in extending condolence to the bereaved relatives.

Weimar Mercury, December 13, 1918, page 5 

Lee, John N.


Funeral Services Will Be 2:30, Saturday Afternoon From Family Home In Lissie, With Interment At Eagle Lake.

John N. Lee, 74, prominent stockman and citizen of Lissie for forty years, died suddenly from a heart attack while seated at a table conversing with Mrs. Joe Beran, at the Beran home three miles west of East Bernard at about 11 o'clock Thursday morning.

Mr. Lee had been in Eagle Lake during the morning, leaving here in his car about 10 o'clock for East Bernard. He stopped for a few moments at the Southern Pacific station in Lissie, and conversed with the station agent, Mrs. Bertha Smith. He did not speak of feeling ill, Mrs. Smith said, but she noted that he seemed to be looking a little pale.

Evidently not feeling well after leaving the station for East Bernard, he turned off the main highway to the old tarvia road and stopped at the Joe Beran home. Mrs. Beran stated that he came in and sat at a table, and after being there only a few minutes said that he had to be on his way as he and Albert (referring to Albert Marek of East Bernard, with whom he had been associated in land leasing) had lots of work to do, "That train must be late," Mrs. Beran quoted him as saying, as he pulled out his watch. In attempting to show her the time by his watch, his hand holding the watch dropped to the table and he slumped against the wall, Mrs. Beran stated.

He never spoke again, Mrs. Beran said, and after' making a single gasp as if attempting to get his breath, he was dead.

A colored cook at the Lee, home in Lissie stated that after Mr. Lee had eaten his breakfast in the morning, he told her he would not be home for lunch.

“Mr. Lee continued to walk about the room for some little time after he finished his breakfast," the cook said. "and. appeared to be restless or worried."

Mr. Lee is survived by one son, C. 0. Lee of Houston and two sisters. Mrs. Ann George of Little Rock, Arkansas, and another sister in Tennessee.

He was a fine man and a useful citizen. He was jovial and pleasant, and always had a good word for his friends and associates. Mr. Lee enjoyed a very wide acquaintance and was held in respect and high esteem by all who knew him, and his, sudden passing has brought sorrow to many who knew him.

Funeral services will be conducted from the family home in Lissie at 2:30 o'clock Saturday afternoon. Interment will be made in the Masonic Cemetery in Eagle Lake by the side of his wife, who preceded him in death several years ago.

Eagle Lake Headlight, September 18, 1936, page 1

Lee, Mary Ann


Mary Ann Lee, 73, of Columbus, passed away Sept. 12, at Columbus Community Hospital. [Interment in Odd Fellows Rest Cemetery]

She was born in Jefferson Dec. 5, 1932, to Alvin and Katie Juanita (McGill) Lee.

She lived in Columbus since 1950 and was a member of the First Baptist Church.

She was preceded in death by her parents; step-father, Dick Behne; step-brother, Edward Behne; aunt, Ivalene Blackman; and uncle, Andy McGill.

She is survived by her step-sister, Gwen Paschall of Eagle Lake; step-brother Richard Behne of Brackettville; cousins Buck Blackman of Columbus, Thomas Blackman of Harleton, and Kathleen Branstetler of Ore City; uncle Earl McGill of Hesperia Calif.; and friend Martha Maynard of Kilgore.

Colorado County Citizen, September 20, 2006
Courtesy The Citizen

Lee, Rosina (Burttschell)

Lee, Mrs. A. H.

In the passing of Mrs. Rosina Lee, wife of our townsman, A. H. Lee, at the family home in this city Sunday afternoon, Eagle Lake and this community has lost another of its best women. Mrs. Lee was ill only a few days and the news of her death came as a great shock to her legion of friends throughout this section.

Mrs. Lee was a splendid woman and loved by all who knew her. From her there was always a pleasant word and a smile for all, coupled with the interest in the welfare of every acquaintance. She was a Christian who was ever active in carrying out the great program of her Master, and no matter whether prosperity smiled or adversity frowned, she was always the same lovable spirit, trying to do something worth while for the world and drive the clouds from the hearts of other. (sic) Eagle Lake lost a true friend and the world a noble spirit when Mrs. Lee passed away.

She was born at Mentz in Colorado County, fifty-eight years ago, and has spent her entire life in this county. She was married thirty-eight years ago at the Mentz Catholic Church to Mr. A. H. Lee, who, with his three daughters, Mrs. Tillie Meyer of Rosenberg, Mrs. Pearl Adams of this city and Mrs. Hilda Heard of Rosenberg, survive her. She also leaves to mourn her passing two sisters, Mrs. John H. Miekow of Alleyton and Mrs. John Reitz of El Campo, and two brothers Henry Burttschell of Alleyton and Adam Burttschell of Columbus. Mrs. Lee is the third member of the Burttschell family having crossed to the Great Beyond during the past year.

Mrs. Lee had been a member of the Catholic church since early childhood, and was active in all affairs of her church. She was a good woman and was known far and near for her hospitality and for her many noble qualities of heart and mind, and her popularity is attested by the great outpouring of people at her funeral on Monday afternoon. People wee here from all sections around and practically the entire citizenships of the Mentz and Bernard sections where she spent all of her life until moving to Eagle Lake, were here to pay a last respect at her funeral. She, with the family, moved to Eagle Lake from Mentz in 1906 and made her home her since that time.

Funeral services were held at the family home at half past four o'clock Monday afternoon, Rev. Geo. Duda of Mentz conducting the services at the home and at the grave. The floral offerings were many and beautiful and the funeral was one of the largest ever held in Eagle Lake. [Interment in Eagle Lake Masonic Cemetery.]

To the grief stricken husband in his loneliness and sorrow, and to the three daughters in their irreparable loss, and to the other sorrowing relatives, the Headlight joins their legion of friends throughout this community in extending sympathy, deep and sincere.

Eagle Lake Headlight, February 12, 1927
Transcribed by Judy Talkington

Lee, Thomas

Oakland-Garwood Cafe Operator Dies of Injuries

Tommie Lee, 63-year-old operator of cafes at Oakland and Garwood and resident of Garwood, died at 11 a.m. Monday of injuries received just before midnight Sunday in a car crash near Garwood.

Lee was alone in his 1955 Chevrolet when it struck a culvert 1.8 miles west of Garwood on Farm Road 1693. Highway Patrolman Billy Miller of Eagle Lake said the man apparently fell asleep at the wheel. There were no skid marks or other indications that he tried to stop.

The accident occured[sic] directly in front of the W. C. Smith home. Mr. Smith heard the crash and rushed out to find Lee unconscious, pinned under the steering wheel. He called the precinct deputy sheriff, who helped him get the victim out.

Lee was taken to Laughlin Hospital in Eagle Lake. He never recovered consciousness. He had a sever brain concussion and internal injuries.

Apparently Lee was on his way to his home at Oakland after closing the Garwood cafe for the night. Officer Miller said. [Interment in Oakland Hill Cemetery]

Weimar Mercury, March 24, 1961, page 1

Lee, unknown


We were also pained to learn of the death of the infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Jas. T. Lee, which occurred last Thursday morning. The little darling ws laid to rest the following day in the Masonic cemetery of this place, Rev. Q. T. Simpson officiating.

Colorado Citizen, May 26, 1887

Lee, Will

A young negro named Will Lee died here Thursday night. [Place of interment unknown]

Weimar Mercury, August 3, 1895, page 3

Lee, Willie Mae (Henry)


Willie Mae Lee, 68 of Weimar died Wednesday, March 8 at Colorado Fayette Medical Center in Weimar.

Funeral services were held Saturday March 18 at 1 p.m. at Greater Macedonia Missionary Baptist church in Weimar. Burial was in Paradise Gardens Cemetery in Weimar. The Rev. Larry Henry officiated.

She was born March 16, 1937 in Fayette County, the daughter of Will and Augusta (Irving) Henry. She was a home health care provider and certified nurses aide. She was a member of the Greater Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church in Weimar.

Survivors include two daughters, Gloria Thomas and Carolyn Armstrong of Weimar; two sons, Curtis Henry of Weimar and Otis Henry Sr. and wife Gloria of Dickinson; two sisters, Marie Coreathers and Arthur Jean Blanks of Weimar; one brother, Garnell Henry of Weimar; one sister-in-law, Eddie Henry of La Grange; seven grandchildren, and seven great-grandchildren.

She was preceded in death by her husband, parents, three brothers, one sister and one grandson.

Tommy E. Taylor Funeral Home, Inc. of La Grange was in charge of arrangements.

Fayette County Record, March 21, 2006
 If you find bad or missing links, please notify the county coordinator.

Return to Obituary Index

Return to Colorado County Home Page