DEATH OF A FORMER CITIZEN OF WEIMAR
News was received here late Saturday evening, conveying the sad tidings of the death of Mr. Chas. G. Hubbard, former citizen of our community, which occurred at his home at Brookshire, Waller county, that afternoon. The remains were prepared for burial and brought here and laid to rest in the Masonic cemetery Sunday afternoon, Rev. J. C. Wilson, Methodist pastor, officiating. The funeral took place immediately following the arrival of the 12:37 train from the east. A large crowd was in attendance.
Mr. Hubbard was born in Mississippi in 1844, came to Texas with his parents at an early age, the family settling in the Osage community. Here he lived for many years. Later in life he moved to the northern part of Weimar, where he lived for a number of years. The family afterward moved to Waller county.
Mr. Hubbard was slightly over 80 years of age at the time of his death. He was a life-long member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He was in deed and truth a good, consistent, christian man, one always well thought of by his friends and neighbors, a man practically without an enemy a kindly, generous-hearted, southern gentleman.
He leave two sons, F. W. Hubbard of Richmond and Tom Hubbard of Waller county, a half-brother, Jno. C. Hubbard of this city, and a half-sister, Mrs. J. O. Garrett, also of this city
Many old-time friends join us in expressions of sympathy to the bereaved ones.
Weimar Mercury, April 3, 1925
Elliott Hubbard, Civic Leader, Dies
Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon, Sept. 30, at First Methodist Church for Elliott McCormick Hubbard, 60, who died Friday night at his home after an illness of several months.
His pastor, Rev. Howard MacAllister, officiated assisted by Rev. Charles Young, pastor of First Baptist Church. Burial was in the Masonic Cemetery.
Prominent in business, community and church activities here for nearly 40 years, he was a lifelong resident of Weimar, descendant of two of Weimar’s earliest families. He was born Jan. 11, 1902, the son of John C. and Willie McCormick Hubbard, and attended the public school here. Peacock Military Academy in San Antonio, Austin College in Sherman, School of Mines in El Paso, and the University of Texas, in Austin, where he was a member of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity.
In 1924 he joined his father in the lumber and funeral home businesses here. The lumber firm had been established by his grandfather McCormick in 1874, when the town of Weimar was but a year old.
He married Miss Vida Herder here, October 25, 1926.
Mr. Hubbard was a director of Hill Bank and Trust Co., past president of the Weimar Rotary Club, Past Master of the Weimar Masonic Lodge No. 423, a member of the official board of First Methodist Church and of the building committee for the new church. He had been a member of the school board and was a member of the Weimar Chamber of Commerce, York Rite Masonic Lodges Houston, and the Arabia Shrine Temple of Houston, Colorado County Shrine Club, the Sons of the Republic of Texas, Texas Funeral Directors and Embalmers Association and Texas Lumbermen’s Association.
An active sportsman and supporter of athletics and outdoor activities of all kinds, he also was avidly interested in Texas history, particularly as it had to do with the local area. In his research he had collected documents dating back to Texas’ earliest days and his collection of antique guns was among the best.
In addition to his widow he is survived by one sister, Mrs. Ernest Hudson of Dallas and one nephew, John Hubbard Hudson of Dallas.
Active pallbearers at the services were Lucien grant, F. F. Brasher, George Herder III, H. B. Hopper, Jack Montgomery, Charles Slavik, McCall Sanders and Dr. J. E. Cummins.
Honorary pallbearers were members of the official board of First Methodist Church directors of Hill Bank & Trust, Dr. W. G. Youens, Dr. Rex Fuller, and Dr. W. T. Youens.
The Weimar Mercury, October 4, 1962
Card of Thanks
The Hubbard and Henderson family wish to thank their many friends and neighbors for food, cards, and flowers and every act of kindness shown to them in the loss of their loved one. Thanks to all of the McCall Sanders employees who donated for florals and to the M-G employees who donated for florals. Special thanks to Dr. Cummins for his wonderful service. May God bless all of you.
Weimar Mercury, October 13, 1966, page 4
Weimar Businessman, City Alderman, Dies; Funeral Held Saturday
John C. Hubbard, 73, business man of Weimar for more than half a century, passed away at the family home here Thursday afternoon, Sept. 7, at 4:10 o’clock, after being confined to his home for the past six months with a heart ailment.
Funeral services were held Saturday morning at 10 o’clock at the Hubbard Funeral Home with the Rev. S. R. Horwood, local Methodist pastor, conducting the services and being assisted by Rev. J. H. E. Willmann of Art, Texas, former Methodist pastor of the Weimar Methodist Church, and Rev. J. G. Palmer of Sinton, also a former pastor here. Interment was made in the Masonic Cemetery.
John Campbell Hubbard was born Nov.21, 1871, at La Grange, Texas and was a son of the late Thomas P. and Palmyra Hunt Hubbard who came to Texas in the days of the Republic. The family moved to Weimar in 1883. On December 12, 1894, he was united in marriage to Miss Willie Friench McCormick, and to this union two children were born.
Mr. Hubbard attended school in Weimar, and later attended the University of Texas. While a student at the University, he was a member of the Sigma Nu Fraternity and a charter member of the University of Texas Glee Club.
Upon the death of his father in 1893 Mr. Hubbard returned to Weimar and became associated with the firm of McCormick and Hall, in the retail lumber business. He purchased an interest in the business in 1894 and after the death of Mr. Hall he became sole owner in 1904. The Jno. C. Hubbard firm today which retails lumber includes a modern furniture store and funeral home and mortuary.
Mr. Hubbard was interested in banking and was one of the organizers of Hill Bank & Trust Co. and had served as a director in this institution since its organization. He was also vice-president and chairman of the board of directors at the time of his death. He was one of a small group of men who organized the Texas Portland Cement Company which later grew into and is now the Lone Star Cement Corporation.
He was for many years a member and director of the Lumbermen’s Association of Texas and was again elected as a director of that organization in May, 1944.
Mr. Hubbard was a member of the Masonic lodge, serving as treasurer for twenty years. He was also a member of the Royal Arch Chapter of the Texas Society of the Sons of the American Revolution, and a member of the Texas Folk Lore Society.
John Hubbard was a religious man and a member of the Weimar Methodist Church since 1893. He was elected on the board of stewards and served in that capacity for over 50 years. In 1906 he was elected superintendent of the Methodist Sunday School and served as such for the last 38 years. He got extreme pleasure working in and with the Sunday School, and was most enthusiastic in the support of the Methodist Home for orphan children at Waco. He was a member of the Founders Club of the Southern Methodist University.
He took an active part in all civic affairs and served on the city council as alderman for the last 25 years. He helped to promote any worthy cause that was brought to his attention.
Survivors include his widow, Mrs. Willie McCormick Hubbard; one daughter, Mrs. Ernest Hudson of Dallas; one son, Elliott M. Hubbard of Weimar; one grandson, John Hubbard Hudson, student at the University of Texas in Austin.
Mr. Hubbard was a man who will be greatly missed by all who knew him. To the bereaved family the Mercury joins a host of friends and admirers in extending sincere condolence.
Active pallbearers included H. Brasher, Jr., Grady W. Shaver, Emanuel Lauterstein, Chas. Herder, Sr., C. D. Ammann, R. H. Mayfield of Tomball, Emil Fahrenthold, F. O. Boettcher.
Honorary pallbearers appointed by the family include Henry J. Laas, F. F. Anders, A. Reissner, R. H. Yoder, Geo. Herder, Jr., Dr. C. G. Cook, Dr. A. H. Potthast, Ed Rabel of this city, Wayman Kindred, Hollis Massey and S. K. Seymour of Columbus; Lee Williams, Marian Carriere, W. B. Everett, Gus A. Brandt, Sam Loc and C. H. Duncan of Houston; Rev. J. C. Wilson of Brazoria; Hon. C. K. Quin of San Antonio; Stewards of the Methodist Church, members of the City Council; officers and directors of the Hill Bank & Trust Co.
Friends and relatives from out of town here to attend the funeral were from Houston, Mrs. W. M. Vinson, Miss Elinor Vinson, A. P. Roberdeau, MR. and Mrs. C. H. Duncan, Sam Loe, Marian Carriere, H. M. Corley, R. . Haynes; from El Campo, Mrs. C. M. Hudson, Miss Barbara Hudson, Mrs. C. P. Duson, Mrs. Donald Duson, W. W. Duson Jr.; from Hallettsville, Mr. and Mrs. S. H. Simpson, Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Simpson, Dr. and Mrs. Friench Simpson, James Hendley Simpson, Jr., A. Klatt, Mr. and Mrs. Scott Hill, Lt. Keith Hill U.S.N.R., Judge Lester Holt; from Columbus, MR. and Mrs. A. L. McCormick, Miss Etta McCormick, Mr. and Mrs. Wayman Kindred, Mrs. Henry Hurr, Mr. and Mrs. S. K. Seymour, Mrs. Sam Seymour, Jr., MR. and Mrs. Hollis Massey, Mrs. John Kunetka, Judge and Mrs. H. Buescher, E. L. Litzmann, Mrs. Sallie Cone, Mrs. Ned Buford; Alexis McCormick and Mrs. Coy Peel of Corpus Christi; Mrs. G. E. Aldredge of Fort Worth; Mrs. and Mrs. Peyton Irving and Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Hudson of Dallas; John Hubbard Hudson of Austin; Tom Hubbard of Brookshire; Seth Taylor of Bay City; Rev. and Mrs. J. H. E. Willmann of Art; Rev and Mrs. J. G. Palmer of Sinton; Rev. J. H. Thompson of Garwood; Miss Virginia Simpson and Mr. Jean Sloan of San Antonio; Mrs. Jennie Woolsey of Yoakum, Houston Wade of Hackberry; E. A. Oehl and R. H. Etlinger of Moulton; Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Black of Flatonia; Pete El Etlinger of Bellville; Mr. and Mrs. R. H. Mayfield of Tomball; G. A. Koenig of La grange; Mrs. Mae Ammann and Mrs. Frank Smith of Galveston; Mrs. Nell Shell of Schulenburg.
Weimar Mercury, September 15, 1944
Mrs. Kate Hubbard Funeral Tomorrow
Funeral services for Mrs. Kate Louis[sic] Hubbard will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 20, at Hubbard Funeral Home, with burial in Masonic Cemetery.
She was a resident of Weimar many years ago. Her husband, F. W. Hubbard, who was employed at that time by Hubbard Funeral Home, is buried here.
Weimar Mercury, September 20, 1962, page 1
The people of Weimar were indeed shocked last Tuesday morning to learn of the death of Miss Lula Hubbard, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Chas. G. Hubbard former residents of our city, which deplorable event took place at the home of her parents near Brookshire, Waller county, the previous night. Miss Lula was a noble young lady, of quiet but lovable disposition, a leader always in church and Sunday school work and the possessor of friends wherever known. Her remains were committed t rest in the cemetery at Brookshire Tuesday afternoon, Our sincere and heartfelt sympathy goes out to the family in the irreparable loss sustained.
Weimar Mercury, August 26, 1899
Death of Mrs. Palmyra Hubbard.
Although the news was not unexpected, our people were deeply grieved Sunday morning to learn of the death of that most excellent and honored lady, Mrs. Palmyra Hubbard, after a prolonged illness, at an advanced age. Mrs. Hubbard had practically been an invalid for a number of years, but surrounded by family and friends she bore her sufferings uncomplainingly and passed unto the great beyond with the sweet assurance vouchsafed to but few that her home beyond the skies was ready and waiting for her. A sweet, good christian wife and mother, the best of friend and neighbor, thus passed away, conscious that all was well, willing to go and meet those loved ones who had gone on before. Mrs. Hubbard had been a resident of our. city for many years. She was the mother of Jno. C. and, Miss Clara Hubbard of this city, and closely related to many prominent families throughout the state. Wherever known, her quiet demeanor, goodness of heart, and sweet, christian spirit won for her a large circle of friends. She was a consistent member of the Methodist church, and d i e d strong in the faith. The remains were committed to rest in the Masonic cemetery Monday afternoon at 4 o'clock, Rev. Gibbons, pastor of the Methodist church, officiating in a beautiful and impressive ceremony. To the bereaved ones, our heartfelt sympathy is extended. [A more extended notice and life sketch of this excellent lady will appear in our next issue.--Ed.]
Weimar Mercury, February 17, 1911, page 1
Another good citizen touched by the finger of Death, and laid to rest. Mr. Thomas Pollard Hubbard, for forty years a beloved and respected citizen of this county, breathed his last at 10:50 Saturday morning, at the family residence in this city, after a lingering and painful illness of many months' duration. Deceased was a devout christian and thoroughly good man. He was born in Alabama on the 24th of October, 1821, and was 72 years of age at the time of his death. He moved to Texas in 184_, first settling on the Colorado river near the line between Fayette and Colorado counties. He leaves a widow and six children, all grown. The remains were laid to rest Sunday afternoon in the old Baptist cemetery [Old Osage Cemetery] below Osage, Rev. H. M. Haynie conducting the funeral obsequies. A large assemblage of sympathizing friends of the family were present to witness the last sad rites. To the bereaved family The Mercury extends its heartfelt sympathy. May God comfort them, is its sincere wish.
Weimar Mercury, November 11, 1893
Mr. Thos. P. Hubbard, who had been a resident of this city for several years died Saturday morning at 10:30, after a lingering illness of two years' standing. He was 72 years of age on October 24th last, came to Texas in 1853 and settled in Fayette county. He was one of the most prominent citizens of this section, respected and honored by all who knew him. The remains were interred in the old Baptist cemetery near Osage Sunday, Rev. H.M. Haynie officiating. The Citizen extends its condolence to the grief-stricken family over their sad loss.
Colorado Citizen, November 9, 1893