Rev. Mr. JOHN SCHERER will have divine service in the Lutheran Church at 10 o’clock next Sabbath.
Mr. EGBERT H. OSBORNE,late of Bolivar, Tenn., has permanently located in Columbus, for the purpose of practicing his profession of law. Mr. OSBORNE is spoken of as a gentleman of talent and ability, and we bespeak for him the kind considerations of the public. His card will be found in another column.
The Methodist denomination of Christians have been holding a protracted meeting at this place during the week. The meeting was lively and quite a revival was gotten up; there were several conversions, and several accessions to the Church.
Colorado Citizen, August 29, 1857, page 2
Mr. E. P. Whifield has finished removing to his new store, where he will be happy to see his old friends and the “rest of mankind.”
Colorado Citizen, September 19, 1857, page 2
The Columbus Union Sunday School will celebrate its anniversary on Saturday, the 26th of June the exercises commencing at 3 oclock P.M. The anniversary address will be delivered by Rev. J. J. Loomis. The parents of the children, and the friends of Sunday Schools are respectfully invited to be present
J. M. DANIELS Committee
Columbus, June 18, 1858
The subscriber has opened a BLACKSMITH SHOP in the town of Columbus where he is prepared to do all kinds of carriage repairing, horse shoeing, making and repairing plows, wagons, or other iron work usually done by Blacksmiths, in the best and most serviceable manner and upon most liberal terms. Show adjoining Illigs Wheelwright shop.
Columbus, June 4, 1858
C. Lessing having removed to Columbus for the purpose of carrying on his business as a Barber, respectfully announces to the public that he is now prepared to accommodate them. Shaving, Champooing [sic] and Hair-dressing will be executed in the latest and most fashionable styles. His long experience in the business warrants him in the assertion. Surgery, Cupping and Bleeding will also be attended to when required. Shop in John Mackey’s store-house.
Columbus, March 12, 1858
Colorado Citizen, June 19, 1858
Transcribed by Judy Talkington
The New Great Pacific
Promptly on time last Thursday this mammoth circus put in an appearance, and gave two performances, afternoon and night. Owing to this being the busy season of the year for farmers, and money very scarce, the attendance way very considerably less than usual at circuses in this place. The New Pacific is indeed a stupendous concern, requiring a great outlay of capital in its makeup, and a heavy expense in its conduction. The performance was very good, among them some new features of an interesting nature not usually seen in circuses. Robt Stickney, the water witches, the cannon ball man, the fire-eater and the equestrian chacma were noticeable features, besides which there were others. The street parade, employing three brass bands, was most excellent. The troupe composed of gentlemen, who treated all gentlemanly. The Mr. C. W. Allison, press agent, we are indebted for especial courtesy.
Colorado Citizen, April 7, 1881
Transcribed by Judy Talkington
Last Friday morning the residence of Mrs. Bettie B. Tate, of this city, was robbed of over a thousand dollars worth of jewelry, by parties unknown. Among the articles stolen were three very handsome and valuable diamond rings one of them set with eleven stones, one with seven, and the other a solitaire. There were also a gentleman’s heavy hunting watch, double case, three plain gold rings, one with “Bettie” engraved upon it on the inside, and the works “Forever Thine,” engraved in another; one pair of gold chain bracelets, with coral grapes,; one solid gold necklace, representing beads; four pairs of sleeve buttons, ear-rings and other jewelry. These articles were all put away in a box in the bureau, which box, after rifling, the thief left upon the premises. A reward of$50 has been offered for the delivery of the articles.
Colorado Citizen, April 7, 1881
Transcribed by Judy Talkington
NEW ESTABLISHMENT.--Mr. Jno. Lhotan, formerly with Messrs. J. A. Tendick & Co., has rented the White building, next door to C. & P. Hahn, and will, on the 1st proximo, open a large, fresh and well selected stock of staple and fancy groceries. Mr. L. has been a resident of Columbus for several years, and is noted for his industrious habits and business qualifications. Such men always succeed. His stock will be large, selected in person expressly for this market, and will be sold on “live and let live’ principles. We bespeak for Mr. Lhotan a liberal share of public patronage.
Colorado Citizen, July 21, 1881
List of Letters
Remaining in the Postoffice at Columbus, Texas, for the week ending Nov. 12, 1881:
Austin, Harry C. Mehrens, H
Buce, Albert Murray & Foster
Beck, Wm. Mofford, C. W.
Blalock, Wily 2 Moore, Mrs. Almira
Brimmage, Mrs. Molly Parris, Mrs. Mary
Bounum, Miss Aney Rite Phillis
Bowden, Albert Rose, Thomas
Chase, A. Y. Rosenfield, E. J. 2
Clayborn, B. Rogers, Mrs. Beckey
Cunningham, L. C. or Smith, Miss Kattie
J.L. Susus, Cleer
Gardner, Thos, Sr. Stroff, Miss Mary
Griffin, Spencer Stafford, Jack
Gilins, Miss Armsteadt Spencer, Tom
Gibson, Phil Schultz, Carl
Guy, Mrs. R. H. Simon, Lewis
Harding, J. E. Smith, R. E.
Helf, C. M. Storm, Mrs. M. M.
Hill, Miss Shultz, John
Jordan, S. L. Shultz, Fritz
Johnson, Alen Smith, G. R.
Jackson, Andrew Smith, Granville
Jones, Frank Seidler, Franz
Jefferson, Adam Tinsley, Frank
Kyle, Martin Turner, Samuel
Lackey, Wm. Wright, Moses
Lyons, Egbert Wright, John
Love, Bod Webster, Laura
McDonald, B. Wilson, Lou
McElroy, Miss Maudie Washington, George
McShan, Miss Mary Wheat, Hine
Moore, Mrs. Mary White, James
Parties calling for any of the above letters will please say advertised. If not called for within thirty days, they will be sent to the Dead Letter Office.
R. P. Tendick, P.M.
Colorado Citizen, November 17, 1881
Transcribed by Judy Talkington
STEAM was raised for the first time at 9 oclock, P. M., in the Columbus Oil Mill last night. We understand that the redoubtable Secretary of the Company whose energy and business skill has contributed so much to the establishment of this enterprise, stayed there and played with the steam whistle all night.
Colorado Citizen, January 5, 1882, page 3
The following officers were elected for Colorado Council, No. 560, Legion of Honor: H. Wagenfuhr, Commander; S. G. Maret, V. C.; U. C. Coolgrove, Orator; Friench Simpson, P. C.; W. A. Engelhardt, Sec.; J. Pat. Hughes, Collector; Carey Shaw, Treasurer; L. Rauh, Chaplain; Wm. A. Mathee, G.; F. G. Schultz, S.; R. H. Harrison, M. E. This lodge has a membership of forty eight.
Colorado Citizen, January 5, 1882, page 3
At the last regular meeting of Henrietta Lodge, No. 425, Knights and Ladies of Honor, the following officers were elected to serve for the ensuing term: W. A. Engelhardt, Protector; Mrs. M. V. Sandmeyer, Vice Protector; L. Weete, Secretary; Cary Shaw, Financial Secretary; E. L. Lee, Treasurer; J. H. Johnson, Chaplain, H. Wagenfuhr, Guide; Chas. Riley, Guardian; J. Schwendinger, S.; Friench Simpson, J. R. Johnson and L. Weete, Trustees. The Lodge meets the second and fourth Thursday in each month, and is in a flourishing condition, having a membership of sixty-two.
Colorado Citizen, January 5, 1882, page 3
I. O. O. F.The following are officers elect of Humboldt Encampment, No. 31, to serve for the ensuing term: George Gegenworth, C. P.; Henry Wagenfuhr, H. P.; Wm. Koch, S. W.; F. G. Schultz, J. W.; Wm. Frankel Scribe; John Zwiegel, Treasurer, Henry Wagenfuhr, Representative.
Last Wednesday the following named officers were elected for Kosmos Lodge, No. 123, to serve for the ensuing term: Geo. W. Hoeffert, N. G.; F. G. Schultz, V. G.; C. J. G. Leesemann, Sec.; John Zwiegel, Treasurer; Henry Wagenfuhr, Representative to Grand Lodge; John Zwiegel, Alternate.
On the 31st ult. Columbus Lodge, No. 51, elected the following named officers to serve for the present term: Geo. McCormick, N. G.; I. Towell, V. G; Ben M. Baker, Sec.; E. C. Sronce, Treasurer; Geo. McCormick, Representative to Grand Lodge.
Colorado Citizen, January 5, 1882, page 3
The committee Geo. McCormick, J. H. Johnson and George Witting to contract for iron fence around the Courthouse square, reported that they had contracted for the erection of such fence with E. T. Baraum for the sum of $2400, which report was adopted by the Court. Said fence to be completed within sixty days, and when the fence is received by the committee the clerk is ordered to issue draft for the amount of $2400.
The Courthouse building committee were ordered to have the Courthouse out house renovated and repaired.
D. E. Miller was granted a ferry license to operate a public ferry North of Weimar, on the Colorado river, and he was ordered to give $100 bond, &c.
Colorado Citizen, February 23, 1882, page 3
Yesterday the work of putting up the iron fence around our courthouse yard was commenced by Messrs. Wooten and Tomlinson, the contractors, superintended by Mr. Robert Goldsmith. When completed it will be quite an improvement on the old fence, the Bermuda grass will soon grow and cut off a portion of the dust, and the shade trees already set out will make the yard quite beautiful and attractive.
Colorado Citizen, May 25, 1882.
Dr. E. P. Whitfield, “the mighty trader” is up to his ears in the lumber business, and is a candidate for the patronage of this section in that line. His announcement will appear as soon as he can find time to write it out. Everybody in this country knows Dr. Whitfield. He is a rushing, active, restless business man, and generally makes things move when we[sic] takes hold of them. He can get any amount of lumber he may want, and of course will sell it. The country is building up, and lumber the people are bound to have. The Doctor says he will keep up his old axiomatic motto: ”Quick sales and small profits,” and he will do it. Give him a trial.
Colorado Citizen, July 13, 1882, page 3
Our Courthouse is enclosed with a very elegant and costly iron fence, which is not only an ornament to the square, but is a durable and useful structure. Unfortunately, the gates are so easily opened that the Ubiquitous town cow and the festive porker have learned the knack of making their entrance and exit at will, so that the yard may be appropriately termed the county pasture. The authorities should have the gate -catches repaired so as not to be push open by the brute creation.
Colorado Citizen, January 15, 1885
We visited and examined the large and commodious eight-room residence recently erected for Mr. D. Steiner, by the accomplished mechanics, Messes. Miller Brothers, and pronounced it one of the most comfortable dwellings in this city. All material is select. The paper-hanging was executed by Mr. J. J. Dick in his usual good style, and the painting, graining, etc. by Mr. Acker in a manner at once workmanlike and attractive. Imitation of mahogany and walnut was superb, showing great skill on the part of Mr. A. The appointments of this splendid residence are complete, comfortable and inviting.
Colorado Citizen, March 12, 1885
WEIMAR LOCAL MATTERS
We are glad to learn that our Methodist brethren of Columbus, have now their Pastor, Rev. J. A. Duncan, snugly housed at home in the new parsonage. The good people of Columbus deserve credit for their efforts in this matter. Our preacher is delighted with his new house, and of course feels that his labors in the Master’s cause have been appreciated by his people.
Colorado Citizen, April 16, 1885
Ground was this week broken upon the residence of Mr. John T. Duncan, which, when completed, will be one of the most elegant in the City.
Colorado Citizen, July 2, 1885
The handsome residence of Mr. J. T. Duncan is approaching completion, and will be quite an ornament to the southern part of the city.
Colorado Citizen, September 17, 1885
THE PREACHERS PARTY.--We were quite astonished last Friday morning upon hearing a gentleman remark that he had greatly enjoyed a party the evening before at the parsonage! Upon inquiry it was learned that a number of he friends of the Rev. J. A. Duncan and his lady had quite unexpectedly stormed them Thursday evening about 9 oclock, and crowded their larder with the substantials and delicacies of life. The recipients were quite taken by surprise at this expression of friendship and good feeling. Of course the assemblage was much too large to be comfortably entertained in the modest parsonage, so they adjourned, after a time, to the Methodist Church, where the Pastor red a chapter in the Bible, voiced an appropriate prayer, followed by exercises in singing, and then the benediction. Mrs. Duncan sends us the following apropos to the occasion.
Columbus, January 4, 1886
The Church and good people of Columbus (and surely there are some of the salt of the earth to be found here) bombarded the sacred precincts of the Parsonage on New Years eve, and took it by storm, leaving in their retreat, not vestiges of ruin, but substantial aid, consisting of a supply of many things good and necessary--not only the substantials of life, but many of the luxuries also; nor were the useful and ornamental forgotten. May Heaven bless them all for their kind remembrance of us. And __hoye the intrinsic value of the gifts, most highly do we appreciate the kindly thoughts that prompted them.
We wish all a happy and prosperous New Year; and sincerely hope that as the hours of the New Year roll by, our friends may find them as bright and enjoyable as were the last hours of the expiring year to us.
Mrs. Mariam J. Duncan.
Colorado Citizen, January 7, 1886
The following from our Methodist Pastor, Rev. J. A. Duncan, which we copy from the last issue of the Christian Advocate.
Columbus moves off well as a self-supporting station. Our first quarterly conference was held on the third Sunday in March. Finances well up, nearly $200 was reported for the support of the ministry--$120.30 raised by the Sunday School. The remaining debt on the parsonage of $134.80 paid off; $30.25 collected for the poor, and $41.60 contingent and G. C. delegates. Total during the quarter, $546. 55, and all tis during the hardest times we have had for many years. We want and are praying for another revival this summer. Pray for us. [The money doesn’t quite add up--but the print was difficult to read. DA]
Colorado Citizen, April 22, 1886
The new iron tank on the city’s water works tower is about completed, and appers to be a masterpiece of wrkmanship. This work was contracted for and build by the King Iron Bridge and Manufacturing Company of Cleveland, Ohio. The town will now be amply supplied with wter.
Colorado Citizen, September 16, 1886
His brethren throughout this section of the Statewhere he is well knownare rejoiced to note the promotion of D. G. M. Henry Wagenfuhr, of this city to the position of Grand Master of the I. O. O. F. for the State of Texas. The recipient of this high honor has made the laws of Odd Fellowship his study for years, and will fill the position with credit to himself and the Order.
Colorado Citizen, February 10, 1887, page 3
TELEPHONE.--Mr. Oscar Zumwalt, manager of the telephone in this place, says the line now connects at La Gange, Schulenburg, Weimar and Eagle Lake. He says he has the office here now arranged so that it will not connect with Jove’s thunderbolts.
Colorado Citizen, August 25, 1887
My place in Columbus, with full block of land. New residence with five rooms, two brick chimneys, two halls, one veranda, two servant houses with brick chimneys, buggy house, bath room, wash furnace, two-story barn and stable, good brick curbed well, with force pump, beautiful shade trees, live oak, cedar, walnut and hackberry, fruit trees, peach, pear and persimmon and grape vines. Carey Shaw
Colorado Citizen, September 1, 1887
THE FIRE MONDAY NIGHT
The Destruction of Dr. Harrison’s Hospital Buildig--Loss, $22,00--a Public Calamity
About 12 o’clock last Monday night [Sept 12], Mr. Taylor, watchman, discovered the kitchen attached to Dr. Harrison’s Hospital building in this place to be on fire.
Colorado Citizen, September 15, 1887
The contract for building the court house and jail at Columbus has been awarded to Martin, Burns & Johnson of Colorado City, Tex., whose bid of $564, 536 was the lowest received. The Diebold Safe and Lock company will furnish the iron work on the ail for $4645. The material to be used on the buildings will be brick and rock. The old courthouse has been offered for sale.
Weimar Mercury, October 5, 1889
R. E. Stafford and John Stafford, members of the banking firm Stafford & Co., at Columbus, Texas, were shot and instantly killed by L. S. Hope, city marshall of that place, yesterday evening at 7 o’clock. The fight occurred in a saloon and eight shots were fired. It was always a fight to finish when the Staffords were parties, and this is the first time they every failed to win. Col. R. E. Stafford came from Glynn county, Ga., in 1858, with $50 in his pocket, and at one time during the cattle boom could have sold his ranches for $2,000,000. He stood six feet six in his stockings, and he and John were of like stature, symmetrical in form and of dauntless courage.--Weatherford Constitution.
Weimar Mercury, July 12, 1890
MEETING OF COLORED PEOPLE
The colored people met in mass meeting at Foley & Taylor’s hall 10th last. John Shavers was elected chairman and A. F. Kinnison secretary. The chairman stated the object of the meeting was to select a candidate to run before the people for alderman for the city of Columbus on the 7th of April. Peter Miller and Daniel Whitley were nominated, Peter Miller received 27 votes and Daniel Whitley 10. Peter Miller was declared the choice of the meeting. A resolution was adopted for the colored school trustees to carry before the board of aldermen, to-wit:
Whereas, It seems that the spirit of the board of aldermen to invest the city surplus funds in making necessary improvements on school buildings; and
Whereas, The colored public school building is too small to accommodate to the best advantage the colored pupils; therefore, be it
Resolved, That, we, a majority of the colored patrons of this town, do hereby invite the attention of the honorable board of aldermen to the necessary condition of our school facilities, and pray the board to investigate the matter, and take such action thereon as their impartial judgment shall direct.
Resolved, That the board of district trustees, John Ridge, Chas. E. Foley and John Shaver constitute a committee to present this petition to the board of aldermen of the city of Columbus
JOHN SHAVER Chn
A. F. KINNISON, Sec.
Colorado Citizen, March 19, 1891, page 5.
On the 13th inst. the city council opened the bids for building the new school house, and it appearing that the bid of Messrs. Allert & Redmond of Flatonia, Tex., for $11, 879 was the lowest and best bid, the contract was awarded to them.
The old jail has been ordered sold, and will be sold on some day yet to be determined.
Weimar Mercury, May 23, 1891
Ground was broken Tuesday for the large brick building of Messrs. Slutler & Brunson, Milam street. It will be 33x90 feet, 15 feet first floor, 14 feet second floor, iron front, and finished throughout. Mr. Hastings will look after the wood work and Mr. Joy will attend to the brick part. This will be a handsome, comfortable business house, and add much to the appearance of this part of town.
Colorado Citizen, August 20, 1891, page 3
An unfortunate accident happened to Mr. D. M. Chapman last week, which has laid him up and caused him to suffer much pain. He is employed by the Columbus Gin and Mill Co., and while feeding a cotton gin last Thursday his hand was caught by the saw and the ends of three of his fingers taken off. He is up and walking around, but the effects of the wounds will be a serious inconvenience through life.
Colorado Citizen, December 10, 1891
Hallettsville Herald: Miss Emma Simpson, pesident of he Simpson bank at Columbus, was a visitor to Hallettsville last Friday. Miss Simmpson has the distinction of being the only lady president of a bank in the United States.
Colorado Citizen, January 28, 1892, page 2
Chinaman Joins Methodist Church
Rather a novel affair, i.e. for Columbus people, occurred at the M. E. church last Sunday. A Chinaman was baptized and received into the church, and at the conclusion of the service partook of the sacrament. The young man appears to be very intelligent and to thoroughly understand the doctrines of the church, and gave evidence of sound conversion and true christianity. Mr. Mar Wing has been in America only two years, but speaks English fairly well, and is now bookkeeper in the railroad hotel at Glidden. He wishes to prepare himself for the missionary work and return to his native country and teach his heathen countrymen the chirstian religion--as he says, “The religion that did so much for me.”
Weimar Mercury, October 8, 1898
An Old Document
County Clerk Harrison showed us the other day quite an old document, it being a certificate to Mr. William Alley for three shares of stock in the Colorado Navigation company. The capital stock of the company was $125,000, the shares valued at $100 each, and the company was incorporated by an act of congress, December 14, 1837. The certificate is signed by S. Mussins, president, Geo. M. Collinsworth, attorney, and W. Donaldson, secretary. The directors of the company were Geo. Collinsworth, Jas. W. Lann, Wm. J. Mayard and E. L. Holmes. The purpose of the company was the navigation of the Colorado river, and we are told they did get a small boat, perhaps two, to Austin about 1853. On the return trip one of these vessels was sunk about the mouth of Ratcliff's creek, a mile below town, and for years part of her machinery was to be seen at that point.
Colorado Citizen, March 30, 1899
Submitted by Deborah Smith
T. P. Luck, the soda water man, was arraigned before the mayor’s court this morning charged with leaving his horse unhitched on the street. The defendant acknowledged that he was guilty as charged, but the mayor, out of his good nature, declined to assess any fine against him, and dismissed the case. Your correspondent is of the opinion “ There is something in a name.”
Weimar Mercury, August 22/29, 1899
Lott Clarion: Prof. W. Wallace of Columbus, Texas, will be in Lott on Saturday, December 24, for the purpose of organizing a music class. He will give lessons on the guitar, mandolin, violin, flute and cornet. He is truly a musical genius, as the writer knows, for he has heard him on several occasions. His terms are reasonable, and it will pay you to see and hear him play.
Weimar Mercury, December 9, 1899
Our young people enjoyed a moonlight picnic Monday night. The moon has been so bright, and the nights so very pleasant that the young folks couldn’t resist a ride under pale moon’s silvery rays. There was quite a crowd of pleasure seekers, in wagons filled with hay. They drove out to Perry Springs, about three miles south of town, and there they all got out, and a lunch was spread in the moonlight, consisting of every good thing which can compose a luncheonsandwiches, olives, fruits, cakes, pickles, salads and many other delicacies, to all of which the young folks did ample justice. The drive back home was enjoyed to its fullest extent, and they all arrived in town just in time to meet the south bound passenger. Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Gegenworth chaperoned the party. The following were some of those in the party; Misses Lavine Fitzpatrick, Doll Harrison, Lucille Walker, Hertha Boettcher, Grace Mahon, Maud Taylor, May Stockton, Lillian Zweiner, Roberta Traylor, Mary Neal, Ivor Oakes, Mary Reeves, Maggie Cohen, Messrs. Powell Burger, J. W. Williamson, Tom Binkley, Will Harrison, Will Wirtz, Lellius Shaw, Frank Burford, Geo. Martin, Alex McCormick, Seth Little, Burford Weller, Will Toliver, and Shelly Montgomery. All present voted the affair a decided success.
Weimar Mercury, July 14, 1900, page 1
Mr. Will Wallace of Columbus, who is becoming quite famous as a composer of music, has favored us with a copy of one of his latest compositions entitled “Merry Dancers” waltz. After hearing same played we cheerfully pronounce it a composition of much merit and beauty of expression, ranking with the best music of the present day. Mr. Wallace is a natural born musician, playing upon any instrument, and has made a long and painstaking study of music. We have heard many of his compositions played upon different instruments and have no hesitancy in pronouncing all of them exceedingly meritorious. Thos. Goggan & Bro. of Houston and Galveston are the publishers of Mr. Wallace’s compositions. A copy of the above waltz or any of his compositions can be procured through this firm or by writing Mr. Wallace at Columbus.
Weimar Mercury, March 16, 1901
Last Saturday morning, at or near 11 o'clock, after enjoying a period of several months' tranquility from the deadly popping of the six shooter, our neighboring city of Columbus was again brought to the front as the scene of a pitched battle between opposing factions. As near as we could learn, the particulars of the unfortunate tragedy are about as follow: Marion Hope and Herbert Reese had a difficulty at the skating rink, earlier In the morning, and Reese got the worst of it. He went home, and soon returned, this time accompanied by his brother, Walter Reese, both armed. They evidently expected to meet Hope near the Franz saloon, but from statements of those who saw the shooting, Hope was further down the street, at the Zumwalt drugstore. He was expecting the Reeses, and when they neared the Franz saloon, he jumped out from his place of concealment and pulled down upon them with a shotgun. Both of the Reeses were struck by bullets, in the arms and legs, but no serious wounds were inflicted. At this time there was a general discharge of firearms from several points and when the smoke of battle cleared away It was discovered that besides the Reese boys, Hiram Clements of the opposing side was mortally wounded. Clements was standing near the postoffice at the time the battle opened, and it is claimed that he was fired upon from behind. Two bullets from a winchester struck him, one in left shoulder and one through the right lung. He fell upon the steps of the Foard, Thompson & Townsend law office, and was dragged inside. Bullets flew about promiscuously during the engagement, a fine mule being struck by one, and numerous holes in show windows, awnings, and door facings prove that several parties were engaged. Citizens of the town finally rallied, armed themselves and escorted the Reese boys to their home, where their wounds were attended to. During the battle the Reese boys fired several shots, but it is not believed they did any material damage. It is claimed that Hiram Clements did not fire a shot. Sheriff Bridge was absent from the city at the time of the trouble, Constable John Hester being the only peace officer there. We understand that complaints were flied against the two Reese boys for assault to murder Marion Hope, against Hope for assault to murder Herbert Reese, and against Dr. Joe F. Lessing for assault to murder Hiram Clements. Since the complaints were flied, however, young Clements died as a result of his wounds, hence the latter complaint has been changed to the more serious one of murder. The two Reese boys and Dr. Lessing wore arrested and placed In jail by Sheriff BrIdge. Young Clement. was believed to be mortally wounded at the time of the shooting, but he held up bravely until 1:25 Sunday morning, when he succumbed to his injuries. The remains were prepared for burial, and at 2:30 Sunday afternoon were brought to Weimar for interment, the ceremonies being conducted by the Woodmen, of which organlzation he was a member. Hiram was 24 years old. He was born and raised at Oakland, but had been working for the Southern Pacific railroad company at Glidden for some time past. He was married several years ago to a Miss Roberts of San Antonio, and the widow and one child survive him. He was an energetic, hustling young man, of sober habits, and popular among his friends and associates, who deeply and sincerely deplore his tragic death. Dr. Lessing, who is charged with the murder of Clements, is a brother-in-law of the Reese boys, and a half-brother of Marion Hope.
The Columbus correspondent of the Galveston News gives the following summary of the troubles leading up to the latest of these tragedies:
The trouble leading to the battle here today had their beginning in the campaign for sheriff in 1898. Sam H. Reese was then sheriff and Larkin Hope, constable of this precinct, was a candidate against him They were related by marriage and formerly friends. Hope was shot and killed in July of that year, after which W. T. Burford, a brother-in-law of M. H. Townsend, made the race and defeated Reese. James Coleman was indicted for the murder at Hope, but was acquitted upon the trial. In the month of March, I899, Reese was killed in a street fight wIth W. D. Clements, his nephew by marriage. W. D. Clements, M. H. Townsend and Marion Hope were indicted for the killing, charged. with manslaughter, which case was afterwards dismissed. At this shooting Charles Boehm, a farmer, was hit by a stray bullet and instantly killed in his wagon and an infant son of Mayor Williams was wounded in the hip and is yet a cripple. About one month later Dick Reese of Orange, a brother of ex-Sheriff Reese,was shot and killed in his buggy, together with his negro driver, near the east end of the river bridge, and J. G. Townsend and A. L. Yates were indicted. Yates died a short time afterwards and the venue of the case against Townsend was changed to Bastrop. A few months later, while attending the trial at that place, Arthur Burford, son of Sheriff W. T. Burford, was shot and instantly killed on the streets of Bastrop and W. D. Clements was shot through the lungs, but recovered. James Coleman, Walter Reese and Tom Daniels were indicted, but these cases and also the one against J. G. Townsend for killing of Dick Reese were afterwards dismissed at San Antonio, where they went on change of venue. The next fight occurred at Rosenberg, where James Coleman and Walter Reese were wounded in a general fight at the depot with members of the other faction, but the good people of Fort Bend county, not caring to borrow trouble from others, no indictments were returned.
Weimar Mercury, July 7, 1906, page 8
Express Special: Columbus Jan 1.--The building boom in Columbus still continues. The next building to go up will be a two-story brick veneer residence for J. J. Mansfield, county judge. Contractor Hugh Putman secured the contract to erect same at a cost of over $4000. He will begin work January 8. The residence will replace a frame structure situated diagonally across the street from the Southern Pacific passenger depot, and will greatly add to the appearance of that part of the city.
Weimar Mercury, January 5, 1907
Work will begin on January 8, 1907 on the J.J. Mansfield home diagonally across the street from the SP passenger depot.
Weimar Mercury, January 5, 1907
Mr. J. Nathan has bought the vacant lot on the west side of the square, between the Lee Hughes building and the new ones now being erected, on which he will build a two story brick at once. This will fill out that side of the square, with the exception of the corner lot, on which Uncle Tom Roberts contemplates building an nice two-story house in the near future.
Colorado Citizen, January 26, 1912
Columbus, Tex., Feb. 12.--The north bridge over the Colorado river having been completed, the ferry boat was taken around the bend fifteen miles distant to the east bridge, which will be used while the bridge there undergoes repairs which will likely take several weeks. It took five hours to made the trip, with no mishap except hanging on a log for a short while a little over half way around. Thirteen people accompanied the little boat on the trip. It was towed by L. D. Shaw’s gasoline launch.
Weimar Mercury, February 19, 1915, page 6
Dillards Are Good Cotton Farmers
A family of negroes by the name of Dillard, the male members of which consists of father and two sons,living on a small farm seven miles north of Columbus, will make about 55 bales of cotton this year, their merchant estimating the value, with the seed, at $10,000. Simeon, the father of the family, is an unusual cotton farmer and attributes his phenomenal success to the manner in which he plows his crop.--Eagle Lake Headlight.
Weimar Mercury, November 30, 1917, page 7
The city of Columbus is indebted to Mr. John Tanner for several cars of gravel from the Gemmer & Tanner pit for use on certain streets in the city. Mr. Tanner not only gave the gravel but paid freight on it to Columbus.
Preston Street, runing east and west by the Seymour lumber yards, is being graveled.
Colorado Citizen, December 18, 1924
HILL DRUG STORE SOLD.
Mr. Horace Hill last week sold his drug store business in this city to Mr. L. W. [Nesbitt] of Alvin, who is to take charge of same some time before the first of March.
Mr. Hill has, been in business here for four years, during which time he and Mrs. Hill have made a host of friends among our people, who will regret to see them leave. Their future plans are not known to the Citizen at present.
Mr. Nesbit is a substantial business man with a family and will be a valuable addition to our business family.--Columbus Citizen.
Weimar Mercury, January 30, 1925, page 6
NEW HOSPITAL OPENED
Columbus, Texas, Sept 28. Doctors H. B. Todd of Houston and J. W. Waldrop of Sealy have moved to Columbus. They have leased the Delaney property in the southeast secton of the city where a hospital will be maintained. Every physican in the city has been invited to use the hospital.
Weimar Mercury, October 5, 1928, page 2
TEXAS APPOINTEE TO WEST POINT NAMED
Washington, Nov. 14.--The war department has announced that letters of conditional appointment for admission to the United States Military Academy at West Point have been issued to one Texas candidate and four alternates.
Charles Leesemann Schultz of Columbus was designated a candidate by Congressman Joe Mansfield, with Forrest Clemenger Bess of Bay City as first alternate and William Burhrod Bennett of Goliad as second alternate.
Weimar Mercury, November 21, 1930, page 7
TOM BOULDEN'S INTRODUCTION TO TEXAS
The good old day--mentioned in last weeks column--include that memorable day when a young, refined, retiring young man came to Columbus from Maryland. His name was Thomas Boulden. He was a nephew of the late Major Foard, a historic character of this city. In the late afternoon he was invited by City Marshal Henry Middleton, to take a walk about the city to see some of its beauty.
They walked southward. passing beautiful flower gardens, the palatial, colonial home which is now the Townsend place, the grape and fig orchard that is now the Bailey horne, reached a concrete wall surrounding an imposing Southern home (the Tait residence), with pleasant conversation of the town, its refinement and culture, when suddenly Tom was startled by shots from firearms down the street north of him.
A cloud of dust appeared, horsemen galloping southward. Tom found himself crawling forth from behind the stone wall to find Middleton in the middle of the street with a six-shooter in each hand and two prisoners. He shot down a horse and restored the serenity of their stroll. Torn then knew he was in Texas.
Years later he recalled with pleasure that experience. having himself attained the knowledge of the ages and become one of us.--Columbus Citizen.
Henry Middleton, long time marshal of Columbus. was a character in the early days of that town. Tall, spare built, a perfect Chesterfield in his deportment, he was as game a man as Columbus ever had for a peace officer. The writer was an eye witness once to an affair in which Middleton came near losing his life. He had arrested a white gambler of that town and was carrying him to prison, when the latter concluded he wouldnt go any further.
They were then near the old Gloger furniture store. The gambler, a heavy set, wiry man seized Middleton by the throat, forced his neck between the pickets of the fence, and was slowly but surely choking Middleton to death.
Middleton never lost presence of mind. Realizing the desperateness of the situation, his mind was working at double-quick time. He threw one hand around to his side, jerked out a dirk and before you could say Scat". he had stabbed the gambler in the neck.
The gambler released his hold, at which Middleton pulled a silk handkerchief from a pocket, wrapped it around the gambler's neck, and with a twisted hold on same led him safety to prison, after which he summoned a physician to attend the wounded man. They didn't make 'em any gamer than Henry Middleton!
Weimar Mercury, August 28, 1931, page 6
Columbus To Celebrate Roosevelt Inauguration With Patriotic Parade
Parade Scheduled To Start As Ceremonies Begin In Washington And Invitation To Witness It Is Extended To Everyone.
A Democratic victory parade will be staged in Columbus tomorrow, Saturday, March 4th, at the hour that President Roosevelt is inducted into office at Washington. Tab on the Washington program will be kept by radio so that the parade will start at the proper moment. This appears now to be not later than 11:30 Saturday morning.
The parading squadron at Columbus will consist of a Legion Color Guard, the Columbus Municipal Band, a Company of the American Legion, a Company of School Girl Pep Squad and a Company of Boy Scouts.
The ceremonies will commence upon firing by signal of a salute of 21 guns (by anvils) at intervals of two or more minutes. When the first boom of the Presidential salute roars, it will be the signal for the fire siren to sound for one minute and for all church and school bells to ring rigorously for five minutes.
When the first salute gun is fired, the Squadron will begin to march and will proceed to the highway intersection on the northwest corner of the court house square, where it will halt. Here the band will perform musical honors to the President, Government and Country. These ceremonies consist first of four ruffles by the drums, four flourishes by the bugles and playing the Star Spangled Banner. The band will then play America. Another four ruffles by the drums, four flourishes by the bugles and the band will play the National emblem.
The Squadron will then march north to the railroad, turn to the right around the block and to the highway at the Baptist church and march west along the highway to the Harbert Garage, where it will turn to the left and proceed to the high school square, the place of beginning where it will halt and dissolve.
Members of the Legion from all towns in the county are invited to come and participate in this parade. You are requested to wear your service caps and decorations, if you have any.
All Legion members are directed to report to Post Commander Edwin Ginn at the high school square in Columbus at 10:30 a.m.
An invitation to the people of Eagle Lake generally is extended to visit Columbus tomorrow morning and witness the parade.
Eagle Lake Headlight, March 3, 1933
Transcribed by Judy Talkington
Mayor Vetoes Vote Of The Two Commissioners
This Likely Will Delay Matters ‘Til Next Meeting
The city council of the town of Columbus at its regular meeting for June, Monday afternoon, voted to accept the Southwestern bell Telephone Companys offer to install a dial telephone system here.
Both commissioner H. Braden and Commissioner Owen G. Hoegemeyer voted to accept the telephone companys offer, making the vote unanimous for the project but Mayor O. A. Zumwalt vetoed the action of the commissioners which may delay the matter till next meeting when the commissioners may carry it over the mayors veto.
The dial project had been approved by the Rotary Club at a recent meeting and by the Columbus Chamber of Commerce, The Chamber of Commerce appointed a committee to contact telephone customers to determine their attitude towards the project. This committee, consisting of Sam K. Seymour Jr., W. H. Mickew and Dr. R. H. Bell, found that in contacting telephone users that 73 out 0f 102 contacted favored the change to the dial system.
Mayor Zumwalt took up the matter and had a survey made. His survey included the town and rural sections to determine the attitude of the people on the change to the dial system project. The survey was made by Rev. W. A. Flachmeier. He report filed with the city manager shows that 465 people were contacted or interviewed and that out of than number 75 expressed themselves for the change, 265 against the change and 36 were noncommittal. Out of this number contacted there were 125 on county lines.
This is a very unusual situation and further developments will follow.
Colorado County Citizen, June 16, 1939
Transcribed by Judy Talkington
Miss Annette Hahn Is Selected Miss Columbus
Annette Hahn was selected Miss Columbus in the personality contest sponsored by Columbus Parent Teacher Association Tuesday night at Columbus High School Auditorium. Miss Hahn represented Leyendecker’s Service Station.
Virginia Schiller sponsored by Wegenhoft Market and Elizabeth Ann Wright, sponsored by The First State Bank took second and third places.
Betty Jo Hope was awarded first place in the talent contest for her song, “Rainbow on River.” A piano solo by Laura Ann Dick won second place and the military dance of Jimmy Leyendecker and Bubba Koliba received third place.
The winner in the “Little Mr. and Mrs.” Contest were Eva Nell Harrison and Tommy Mattern Jr.
Guest artists were Pat Pascal of Eagle Lake who gave an acrobatic dance and Carmen Lloyd Schwartz of Schulenburg who gave several violin solos, accompanied at the piano by Miss Lillian Reese of Columbus.
Colorado County Citizen, October 3, 1940
Transcribed by Judy Talkington
Two 50 Year Old Iron Fences Now Anti-Axis Scrap
Two 50 year old fences in this area were thrown on the anti-axis scrap heap this week. The fence around the court house square here was cut into three foot lengths by an acetylene torch, weighed up at approximately 9,660 pounds, and tossed on a box car which is waiting on a siding to receive the balance of the iron sold by Colorado county to a scrap dealer--the iron in the old county jail.
Out at St. Rochs Catholic church at Mentz, parishioners pitched in Monday and tore down the iron fence which has enclosed the church cemetery for over half a century, and 7000 pounds of scrap was added to the weight of ammunition being hurled at the axis. The fence was replaced with the wire fence formerly around the church.
Working on the project were Jake Blanchard, Elo, Herbert, Hubert, Leo and Raymond Braden; G. E. Drescher, Peter Fry, Edward, Oswald and Ernst Hennecke, William Koehl, Leo and Jake Kuhn, Sgt. Joseph Nelson and W. H. Nelson, August Pilsner, Leander and August Neuendorff and Allen Streider.
Colorado County Citizen, November 12, 1942
From report of Commissioners Court meeting given in the same paper was the following:
Voted to sell iron from old jail at 30 cents per hundred pounds and courtyard fence at 35 cents per hundred.
The Editors Supplement
By the Macs
This week we saw a letter written by Sam L. Townsend at the age of 84 which named Joel W. Robison, James Sylvester and Sion Bostick as the three men involved in the capture of Santa Anna at San Jacinto.
The letter states that Mr. Robison was the recipient of Santa Annas marrying suit and that the suit was in the Townsend family until it was loaned to a Cureo [sic] man for his wedding. The suit was never heard of afterwards, according to relatives.
Both Mr. Robison and Mr. Bostick were great-uncles of Mrs. W. M. Stephenson and Light Townsend of San Antonio and Mrs. Joe W. Stafford of Columbus.
Colorado County Citizen, December 5, 1946.
Two Funeral Homes For White, 2 for Colored in Columbus
Columbus in this year ot 1957, has 4 funeral homes, 2 for White' and 2 forcolored.
E. .E. .J. Uutormeyer, who also has a hardware and plumbing establlshment in what is known as the old Ehrensworth building at 1120 Milam, has operated a funeral home for about 30 years. Recently Mr. Untermeyer and his son, Harold, completed a modern building for this service at 838 Bonham,
P. K. Shatto opened the Columbus Funeral home here 20 years ago at 308 MaIleck. He also has a cleaning and pressing business at 1021 Milam.
Davis Funeral home for colored was opened 30 years ago at 931 Preston by the late Ben H. Davis. and is now operated by his wife, Lottie T. Davis. The Robinson Funeral home, also for colored, opened In 1949 and is located at 1126 Rampart.
Colorado County Citizen, April 4, 1956
94-Year-Old Colored Woman Doing Fine After Surgery
Mama Phyllis Lockett, 94-year-old Columbus resident who is a native of slavery times, is doing nicely after undergoing surgery Monday ni Columbus hospital.
“Mama” Phyllis had only a local anaesthetic and came through the operation without complaint. She is grandmother of Oddie Lee Palmer of Columbus and Dessie Mae Wiliams of Alleyton and has grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and great-great-grandchildren.
Colorado County Citizen, January 17, 1957.
Controversial Magnolias Set Out In 1905; Cost County 70c Apiece
Mr. and Mrs. Emil J. Brune, retired owners and operators of Pearfield Nursery at Frelsburg, have watched with interest the various comments in the past several weeks about the magnolias on the courthouse square, because the trees are living memorials to Mrs. Brunes father, J. F. Uncle Fritz Leyendecker.
Mr. Leyendecker, who founded the nursery in 1875 and was known over this entire area as a first-class nurseryman, sold the magnolias to Colorado county, Every transaction of the nursery since its founding and up to the time it stopped operating 7 years ago was made in a ledger.
The ledger shows that 40 magnolias were sold by Mr. Leyendecker for the courthouse lawn in 1905 and 20 more in 1907. Four-foot trees, they sold for 70c apiece.
Mr. Leyendecker and the late J. J. Mansfield, then county judge, laid out the landscaping for the square. Many other fine trees and shrubs were set out, along with the magnolias.
Mr. Brune, in looking for the entry, turned to its page in the first ledger he selected. The records reveal that Uncle Fritz also sold the pecan trees for the courthouse square.
Mr. Brune married Mrs. Brune, the former Laura Leyendecker, Jan 16, 1907,and continued the nursery his father-in-law had started. Many trees and shrubs, set out by Mrs. Brunes father, still shade the old home where the Brunes live that was built by Mr. Leyendecker 125 years ago.
The letter appearing in The Citizens issue of July 4 urging the preservation of the magnolia, was written by the Brunes granddaughter, Mrs. Mary Anne Brune Pickens, of Corpus Christi.
Opinions pro and con about removing 5 of the magnolias from the west side of the courthouse square for the making of a movie here have been circulating for the past several weeks.
[The ledgers now are housed at the Center for American History at the University of Texas in Austin.]
Colorado County Citizen, July 18, 1963, page 1